It’s said over and over again among chefs – that the best flavor is in the most seasonal foods. When using in-season ingredients, there is little extra needed to make a dish great. And the summer season means finding the sweetest heirloom tomatoes, peaches, and basil. This salad marries them all together, with quick-pickled red onions and a burrata centerpiece. All that is needed to finish the dish is a good drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, flaky sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper. And there it is – your perfect summer salad.
- 2 ripe peaches, sliced
- 2-3 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 burrata or fresh mozzarella
- basil leaves, torn
- kosher or flaky sea salt
- freshly cracked pepper
1. To quickly pickle the red onions, combine them in a bowl with the vinegar (or lemon juice), and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Toss everything together so the onions are well coated. Allow the onions to sit for at least 20 minutes, tossing the onions two or three times in the process.
2. Place the burrata (or fresh mozzarella) in the center of a big plate or platter. Arrange the tomatoes around the burrata, followed by the peaches and picked red onions. Throw the basil leaves on top . Season the entire thing with a good amount of kosher or flaky sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Finish by drizzling a good amount of your best extra-virgin olive oil.