I know what you’re thinking. Does the world really need another kale salad? But let me make my case for this one. Tossed in a spicy/lemony/garlicky dressing, and allowed to sit for a bit allows all those flavors to marinate into the kale; Parmesan adds that umami flavor it does so well; and toasted panko breadcrumbs give it a fantastic crunch. Add some protein, and it’s a complete meal, or enjoy on its own.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (for dressing), plus extra for toasting the breadcrumbs
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed really good with the side of a knife
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 bunch kale (I like Tuscan kale)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs (I use panko bread crumbs, which you can find at the store)
- shaved Parmesan cheese (shave using a vegetable peeler), eyeball it, to top the salad
1. Whisk together the 1/4 cup olive oil with the lemon juice, smashed garlic, and red pepper flakes. Add the dressing to the kale, and toss together. Allow the salad to sit about 15-30 min.
2. Meanwhile, make the toasted bread crumbs. Add the bread crumbs to a small skillet over medium heat and toss with enough olive oil to fully coat the bread crumbs. Toast the bread crumbs, stirring often, until they develop a deep golden-brown color. Remove from heat as soon as they get golden-brown because they will burn if kept on the heat.
3. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and toasted bread crumbs to the salad, and toss to combine. Top with Parmesan shavings.