Do I ever want to bake a whole chocolate cake? Not really. Do I ever crave an individual slice of chocolate oozy goodness? You bet. With this recipe, you can satisfy that craving without going through the fuss of baking a whole cake. Chocolate cake for breakfast? Yup. I won’t judge. I may have done it myself.
- 1 egg, at room temp. (to bring an egg to room temp., put it in a bowl of lukewarm water)
- 1 tbsp butter, plus more to grease the cup or ramekin used to make the cake
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- cocoa powder or flour to dust the inside of the ramekin or cup
- a cup or ramekin, greased with butter
- small handful of berries and/or powdered sugar (optional, for decorating)
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2: Grease the ramekin or cup with butter making sure every nook and cranny is greased. Dust the bottom and sides with either cocoa powder or flour, making sure the entire thing is coated.
Step 3: Crack the egg into a small bowl, add the sugar, and whisk together.
Step 4: Melt the chocolate. Bring a small saucepan filled with some water to a boil, and then to a simmer. Place a heatproof bowl over the saucepan. Combine chocolate chips and 1 tbsp butter in the bowl, and stir with a spatula until melted. Remove from the heat.
Step 5: Wait about three minutes for the chocolate to cool down. Whisk the chocolate into the egg/sugar mixture. (It is important to wait until the chocolate has cooled down a bit as you do not want to scramble your egg!) Next, add the flour and salt, and stir with spatula until well incorporated.
Step 6: Pour the batter into the ramekin or cup, place the cup on a baking sheet, and bake in the oven for approximately 11-13 min. Remove from oven. Let cool three minutes.
Step 7: Time to invert the cake. Place a small plate over the ramekin or cup. Using a hand towel to hold the ramekin or cup in place and to protect you from the heat, flip the plate upside down – the cake should fall off easily. For presentation, dust with powdered sugar and/or berries. Serve warm.